America's first new mainline airline in nearly 15 years — Avelo Airlines — premiered today at Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) with travel-inspiring routes and bag-packing low fares. Introductory one-way fares start at $19 on all routes.
Avelo will offer everyday low fares coupled with a smooth and convenient travel experience, flying non-stop unserved routes between BUR and 11 destinations across the Western U.S. Flights are open for booking at aveloair.com starting today at 8 a.m. PDT / 11 a.m. EDT, taking flight starting April 28, 2021 with current availability through Sept. 15, 2021.
"Avelo has a simple purpose — to Inspire Travel," said Avelo Founder, Chairman and CEO Andrew Levy. "People are ready to reconnect with family and friends and explore new places. Avelo is a different and better kind of airline, built from scratch to offer an affordable, convenient and caring travel experience."
The Avelo leadership team represents more than 200 years of collective aviation experience. Previously co-founder and president of Allegiant Air and CFO of United Airlines, Levy brings more than two decades of airline leadership experience. In addition to Allegiant and United, Avelo's leadership team includes former senior executives from Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Northwest Airlines and Spirit Airlines.
"After more than 20 years of steadily shrinking consumer choice, the American flying public wants and deserves more options and lower fares," said Levy. "Avelo offers both — along with a refreshingly smooth and convenient experience."
LA's Best Airport
Avelo has selected Hollywood Burbank Airport as its first base. BUR's convenience to Greater Los Angeles, Customer-friendly compact size and lower costs were all important considerations. In fact, Fodor's Travel named BUR the "Best U.S. Airport" in 2019.
"Locals know that BUR is LA's best airport," said Levy. "No airport is closer to downtown LA, Hollywood, Pasadena and Southern California's many other attractions than BUR. As the San Fernando Valley's hometown airport, BUR will give you easy access to an abundance of beautiful and relaxing new non-stop destinations across California and the Western U.S. And for those considering LA for their next vacation or long weekend getaway, BUR is the ultra-convenient, stress-free gateway to Greater LA and the world-famous fun-in-the-sun activities Southern California is known for."
Whether Customers are departing or arriving, BUR promises a refreshingly hassle-free experience. BUR offers seamless curbside pickup and drop-off, smaller crowds, shorter walking distances from curb to gate, unrivaled speed for plane-to-carousel bag delivery, and shorter TSA security lines. Customers will be at their gate in a flash while also saving on parking and ground transportation traveling to and from the airport.
"Hollywood Burbank Airport exemplifies the convenient, caring and smooth experience that distinguishes Avelo," said Levy. "We're grateful for the enthusiastic partnership that BUR Executive Director Frank Miller, the airport's commissioners and staff have welcomed us with. It's not surprising why BUR is LA's favorite airport."
Avelo will initially serve a collection of beautiful and relaxing destinations that are currently unserved from BUR. Avelo's inaugural routes focus on outdoor recreation, national parks, and coastal and mountain terrain – as well as providing air service for an increasing population of remote workers:
- Arcata / Eureka, CA (ACV), Victorian charm in the heart of California's Redwood Coast
- Bend / Redmond, OR (RDM), where the snow-capped Cascades surround the high desert
- Bozeman, MT (BZN), the onramp to Big Sky Country and Yellowstone National Park
- Eugene, OR (EUG), where the Willamette Valley begins
- Grand Junction, CO (GJT), where the Colorado River meets dramatic red rock landscapes
- Medford, OR (MFR), a launchpad to the Rogue Valley and Oregon's wine country
- Pasco, WA (PSC), 300 days of sun in the heart of Washington's wine country
- Phoenix / Mesa, AZ (AZA), a stress-free airport alternative to a year-round desert oasis
- Odgen, UT (OGD), a convenient Salt Lake City alternative to Utah's famed mountains
- Redding, CA (RDD), 600 square miles of state and national parks beckon the adventure seeker
- Santa Rosa, CA (STS), the gateway to California's wine country
Pay Less. Travel More
The airline will initially operate single-class, fuel-efficient 189-seat Boeing 737-800 aircraft – offering a more comfortable experience than the regional aircraft often utilized by the airports Avelo serves. Avelo's surprisingly low everyday fares include no change fees or call center fees for Customers who choose to make reservations by phone.
Avelo also offers several unbundled travel-enhancing options at industry-low prices that give Customers the flexibility to pay for what they value:
- First Checked Bag: $10
- Carry-On Overhead Bag: $35
- Priority Boarding: $10
- Pet in the Cabin: $95
- Seating Options: Customers may choose from several seating options. Avelo's 189-seat 737-800 aircraft will offer 129 standard slimline 29-inch pitch seats. Pre-reserved window and aisle seating starts at $5. Avelo aircraft will also feature 60 seats with 31 to 38 inches of pitch. These seats start at $18.
Fly with Confidence
Avelo takes every precaution to protect Customer health at the airport and during their flight. Avelo airplanes are regularly cleaned and disinfected. Tray tables, galleys, lavatories and all other touch surfaces are sanitized every evening with Calla 1452 (hospital-grade) disinfectant. In addition to disinfecting and cleaning daily, Avelo treats the entire airplane regularly with an advanced antimicrobial protectant that kills viruses, germs and bacteria on all surfaces. This Zoono treatment forms a colorless, odorless protective shield and is safe to human contact.
Additionally, the cabin air is refreshed every two to three minutes by the Boeing 737's top-down air filtration and ventilation system. The system directs air flow from the ceiling to the bottom of the seat — not front to back — and greatly reduces particle movement throughout the cabin. All Avelo airplanes operate with HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters that remove 99.9% of air particles, including viruses like the coronavirus, in accordance with manufacturer recommendations.
All Customers will receive a convenience package containing a hand sanitizer, as well as a bottled water and small snack.
Federal law requires everyone — including Avelo Customers and Crewmembers — to wear a face mask at the airport and on the aircraft (unless eating or drinking). Avelo also encourages social distancing best practices whenever possible.
Flight Routes and Pricing
* $19 fares may be unavailable or less available over Memorial Day weekend, May 28-31, 2021. $19 is a one-way fare only – additional fees for carry-on and checked bags, assigned seats and other modestly-priced optional services apply. See aveloair.com.