NEW YORK (October 19, 2017) – JetBlue (NASDAQ: JBLU) today announced it is ending ticket sales through more than 10 online travel agencies (OTAs) as part of its structural cost program to reduce costs across the airline. The change marks the first phase of a new online distribution strategy, which will focus on direct bookings though jetblue.com and select third-party channels.
The distribution cost structure through third-party channels makes it challenging to offer a full range of fares. By eliminating lower-yield online travel agencies, JetBlue will not only support its structural cost efforts but also help ensure that customers traveling with JetBlue have the best experience possible since direct bookings deliver benefits to customers:
- Direct bookings save the airline costly third-party transaction fees, which allows the airline to reduce costs and keep ticket prices low.
- Customers who book directly through jetblue.com have access to all fare sales and promotions, some of which may not be available on OTAs.
- Customers earn 3x TrueBlue points when booking on jetblue.com.1
- Booking through jetblue.com always gives customers access to JetBlue’s fare options and other choices such as pet booking, etc.
- Booking directly through jetblue.com allows customers to seamlessly select their seats including upgrading their experience with Even More® Space.
- Making changes and cancelations through JetBlue’s customer service channels is faster and easier when customers book directly with JetBlue.
- Booking directly with jetblue.com ensures JetBlue has customer contact information, enabling easy notifications of schedule changes or operational disruptions.
- Always Lowest Price on jetblue.com
Although many customers believe they can find cheaper tickets on third-party websites, JetBlue guarantees customers that they will always find the lowest fare on jetblue.com. If customers find a lower JetBlue fare elsewhere on the same day of purchase, the airline will issue $100 credit good for travel on JetBlue.2
Supporting Comparison Shopping
Known for its competitive fares and superior service, JetBlue supports competition in the industry and the consumers’ ability to view industry fares easily. Several aggregator sites offer customers the ability to compare fares and then redirects customers to the airlines’ own booking channel to complete a reservation.