· The long-haul Airbus A350s Iberia will receive in June consume some 30% less fuel.
· Hi-speed Wi-Fi, an improved in-flight entertainment system, higher ceilings, more space for hand luggage, and an advanced air circulation system are some of the improvements passengers will notice.
· Business Class touch screens are larger, seats are wider, and there is additional space for storing personal items.
· For its short- and medium-haul fleet, Iberia will receive new Airbus A320neo’s, equipped with quieter engines and consuming 15% lower fuel.
· This year Iberia will launch is non-stop flights from Madrid to San Francisco and to Managua, while Iberia Express is adding Mikonos and Palermo to its newtwork.
· Once again, Iberia and Iberia Express were the world’s most punctual carriers in their categories in 2017.
Madrid, 22 January 2018
Iberia presented its new developments for this year at the annual FITUR travel trade fair in Madrid, including its first Airbus A350/900, the most modern commercial airliner in the market today, which will join the fleet in June
Iberia will become the first airline to fly this improved version of the A350/900, featuring enhanced aerodynamics and structure and reinforced landing gear.
Iberia’s new Airbus A350/900s also incorporate the latest cockpit technology, integrating all systems with the operating infrastructure, and more advanced transfer of information from the aircraft.
They are powered by Rolls Royce Trent XWB-84 engines, which allow higher speeds and fuel consumption some 30% lower than the A340-600
Passengers will also notice that the A350/900 is the world’s quietest aircraft, with panoramic windows, wider aisles, and higher ceilings for a greater sense of spaciousness. The new air intake and circulation system ensures a level of humidity of up to 16%.
The new aircraft also features high-speed Wi-Fi, and more sensitive HD touch display screens for easier use of the in-flight entertainment system.
The Airbus A350/900’s Business Class seats are wider: 58 cm instead of 52.5cm, and display screens are 18”. Footrests are also wider. with side protectors, and there is more space for storing belongings.
The first Iberia’s long-haul flight operated by its new A350-900 will be New York in August 2018.
A320neo –Quieter and More Efficient
For its short- and medium-haul network, Iberia will be taking delivery this year of its first two Airbus A320neo planes, whose new engines make them quieter and 15% more fuel-efficient than the previous generation of Airbus A320s. More slender seat backs add an inch to passenger space.
In 2018, to San Francisco and Managua
The new year will also see Iberia launch non-stop flights from Madrid to San Francisco and to Managua.
San Francisco fights will be seasonal, starting on 25 April and ending on 28 September, with departures on Mondays, Wednesday, and Fridays. Flights to Managua will operate on the same week days, and will begin on 1 October.
Iberia also expects to see substantial growth in traffic on several of its long-haul routes –to Japan, Argentina, Colombia, Chile, Puerto Rico, and Brazil– as well as shorter routes –France, Italy, Portugal, etc.– for which it is adding 8% to overall seat supply over the 2017 total. Meanwhile, the low-cost carrier Iberia Express is launching new services to Mikonos and Palermo.
Iberia and Iberia Express were world’s most punctual carriers in their respective categories in 2017, according to FlightStats, an achievement that reflects the commitment of all employees to outshine all other airlines with their dedication and efficiency.