- Reported net income for the second quarter under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ("GAAP") of $296 million or $2.38 per diluted share, compared to net income of $260 million, or $2.10 per diluted share in 2016. As the acquisition of Virgin America Inc. ("Virgin America") closed on Dec. 14, 2016, second quarter 2017 information reflects the results of Virgin America, including the impacts associated with purchase accounting. Second quarter 2016 results do not include Virgin America.
- Reported second quarter net income, excluding merger-related costs and mark-to-market fuel hedging adjustments, of $312 million, compared to $263 million in the second quarter of 2016. Adjusted diluted earnings per share were $2.51, compared to $2.12 in the second quarter of 2016. This quarter's results were in line with First Call analyst consensus estimate of $2.52 per share.
- Paid $0.30 per-share quarterly cash dividend in the second quarter, a 9% increase over the dividend paid in the second quarter of 2016.
- Generated approximately $1.1 billion of operating cash flow and used approximately $512 million for capital expenditures, resulting in $572 million of free cash flow in the second quarter of 2017.
- Held $1.9 billion in unrestricted cash and marketable securities as of June 30, 2017.
- Launched nine new routes during the quarter and announced 10 new routes, including obtaining final approval from the Department of Transportation for three routes to Mexico City.
- Took delivery of two of five Airbus A321neos scheduled for delivery in 2017, becoming the first airline to operate this aircraft.
- Began jet service at Horizon with the first flights of the new Embraer 175 jets after taking delivery of the first six of 33 aircraft scheduled for delivery over the next two years.
- Entered into an agreement with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters to amend the eight-year contract with Horizon's pilots, providing Horizon the ability to attract and retain the best pilots in the regional industry.
- Added Finnair as a global Mileage Plan partner.
Recognition and Awards
- Ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among Traditional Carriers" in 2017 by J.D. Power for the 10th year in a row.
- Virgin America: Rated Best Domestic Airline in Travel + Leisure "World's Best Awards" for 10 years in a row.
- Rated "Best Airline Staff in North America" and "Best Regional Airline in North America" by Skytrax World Airline Awards.
- Awarded TripAdvisor's 2017 Travelers' Choice Award for second-best midsize and low-cost airlines in North America and one of the top 10 best airlines in the world.
- Ranked among Forbes' 2017 "America's Best Employers" for the third year in a row.
- Certified as a great workplace by Great Place to Work, the global authority on high-trust, high-performance workplace cultures.
- Received 16th Diamond Award of Excellence from the Federal Aviation Administration, recognizing both Alaska and Horizon's aircraft technicians for their commitment to training.
- Received the 2017 Visionary Award for Leadership and Governance of a Public Company, presented by the Women Corporate Directors Global Institute, recognizing diversity among our directors.
- Ranked among the Fortune 500 for the fourth year in a row.
Alaska Air Group Inc., (NYSE: ALK) today reported second quarter 2017 GAAP net income of $296 million, or $2.38 per diluted share, compared to $260 million, or $2.10 per diluted share in the second quarter of 2016. Excluding the impact of merger-related costs and mark-to-market fuel hedge adjustments, the company reported adjusted net income of $312 million, or $2.51 per diluted share, compared to $263 million, or $2.12 per diluted share, in 2016.
"We had a very solid quarter, driven by a growing customer base and strong revenue performance," said CEO Brad Tilden. "Although we're dealing with a number of operational challenges, our employees continue to deliver excellent service. We are delighted that Alaska and Virgin America received top honors from J.D. Power* and Travel + Leisure* respectively, each for the 10th consecutive year. I want to congratulate our team for receiving these prestigious awards."
The following table reconciles the company's reported GAAP net income and earnings per diluted share ("diluted EPS") for the three and six months ended June 30, 2017, and 2016 to adjusted amounts: